- Home to LMIC
- Virtual Labor Market Data System
- Career Exploration & Planning
- Consumer Price Index
- Economic Snapshot
- Employee Benefits
- Employment Projections
- Labor Force & Unemployment
- Labor Supply
- Overview of the Current Labor Market
- Pandemic Picture
- Wages & Income
- Workers by Industry
- Tools & Resources
- What's New
- Can't Find It?
Labor Market Information Center
Hot Careers (High Demand-High Wage Occupations)
To help individual career planners and job seekers identify occupations with the most favorable job outlook from a labor market perspective, the Labor Market Information Center (LMIC) identifies high demand-high wage occupations, or "Hot Careers." Based on new data available, the current list of Hot Careers were originally identified in August 2022. There are currently 69 South Dakota occupations making the cut as "Hot Careers." Of those 69, the 30 occupations projected to have the greatest demand for workers are identified as the "Top 30."
Learn how Hot Careers are determined.
Hot Careers Resources
Current Job Openings in Hot Careers
Employment Projections and Current Wage Estimates of the Hot Careers
Top 30 Hot Careers flyer (Adobe PDF format; wage data updated June 2023)
Learn even more about each Hot Career in the virtual labor market data system
How Hot Careers Are Determined
To be on the Hot Careers list, an occupation must meet the following criteria:
- Have positive projected percent change in employment 2020-2030.
- Have projected annual openings (a measure of demand for workers) greater than the average across all occupations (83) for 2020-2030.
- Have an average/mean wage greater than the median wage across all occupations. The median wage in 2021 was $37,708 when these designations were originally done. The median wage in 2022 (with data becoming available in June 2022) is $39,870. All Hot Careers and Top 30 occupations still meet the wage criteria using the 2022 wage data.
- Rank in the top 30 for projected annual openings (a measure of demand for workers).
For more information on average annual openings, visit our Employment Projections Technical Notes page. For more information on wage estimates, visit our Occupational Wages Technical Notes page.
About the Top 30 Careers
In addition to the criteria above for Hot Careers, South Dakota's Top 30 Careers are those which additionally meet this criteria: