- Home to DLR
- Home to Training Opportunities
- Training Providers & Programs
- Registered Apprenticeships
- Senior Community Service Employment Program
- StartTodaySD Apprenticeship Program
- Tuition Assistance
- Workforce Development Council
- Workforce Training for Adults & Dislocated Workers
- Workforce Training for Young Adults
- Additional Opportunities
Training Opportunities for Individuals
About Registered Apprenticeships
The StartTodaySD Apprenticeship Program, part of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Registered Apprenticeship system, helps meet the skilled workforce needs of industry. Nationally, the Registered Apprenticeship program has trained millions of qualified individuals for lifelong careers since 1937.
Learn more about Registered Apprenticeships for Workers.
Learn more about Registered Apprenticeships for Businesses.
Visit the StartTodaySD website.
Registered Apprenticeships for Workers
Registered Apprenticeship helps mobilize America's workforce with structured, on-the-job learning in construction, manufacturing, health care, information technology, energy and telecommunications and more industries. StartTodaySD connects job seekers looking to learn new skills with employers looking for qualified workers, resulting in a workforce with industry-driven training and employers with a competitive edge.
As a StartTodaySDApprentice, you will
- Receive related instruction to supplement on-the-job training;
- Earn while learning;
- Receive formal on-the-job training from a qualified worker;
- Receive regular pay increases as job skills increase;
- Acquire skills which equip you to more effectively compete in the labor market.
Registered Apprenticeships for Businesses
Registered Apprenticeship programs aid in recruiting new personnel, and often support the activities of your human resources department. Investing in the future of your employees can strengthen their loyalty to your company. Teaching employees new skills and providing incremental raises increase productivity, decreases turnover and saves your company money spent on training. In addition, Registered Apprenticeship will help your employees become nationally certified, which will ensure a quality product and knowledgeable employees.
Through StartTodaySD, we will work with you to create a flexible training program appropriate for your business. Employers in both the public and private sectors, employer associations and joint labor/management sponsors operate Registered Apprenticeship programs. Registered programs range in size from one apprentice to hundreds depending on the employer. As your workforce needs change, we will help you adjust your training curriculum or design a new program. Registered Apprenticeship programs can be competency based or time based.
As a StartTodaySD Employer, you will
- Develop a reservoir of skilled workers, many of whom are potential supervisors;
- Receive a customizable and flexible arrangement with the apprentice to match your initial needs and changing requirements;
- Lower costs by increasing productivity as employees become more skilled;
- Reduce labor turnover and absenteeism through employee motivation to learn new job skills;
- Receive national recognition for efforts to train people in all aspects of their occupation;
- Provide a more flexible workforce because of greater employee skills;
- Create improved customer satisfaction generated by quality workmanship.
To learn more about Registered Apprenticeship opportunities in South Dakota, please visit the StartTodaySD website.
To learn about federal youth labor laws, please see the Federal Youth Labor Laws FAQ (Adobe PDF format).