- Home to DLR
- Home to Appraiser Certification Program
- Advisory Council
- Consumer Information
- Information for Appraisers
- Classifications & Requirements
- Important Announcements
- Appraisal Standards Board Guidance
- Letter of Good Standing
- Renewal of Certification
- Supervisory Appraisers
- Supervisory Appraiser Log
- Temporary Permit
- Upgrading Certification
- Laws, Rules & Standards
- Information for Appraisal Management Companies
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Information for Education Providers
- News and Announcements
- Upcoming Events
- Related Sites
- Other Boards & Commissions
Appraiser Certification Program
The mission of the South Dakota Appraiser Certification Program is to:
- Certify, license and register real estate appraisers to perform real estate appraisals in the state of South Dakota pursuant to Title XI of the Financial Institutions, Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act (FIRREA).
- Register and supervise appraisal management companies doing business in the state of South Dakota pursuant to Title XI as amended by the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
The purpose of the Appraiser Certification Program is to:
- Examine candidates.
- Issue credentials.
- Investigate and administer disciplinary action to persons in violation of the rules, statutes and uniform standards.
- Approve qualifying and continuing education courses.
- Register and supervise appraisal management companies doing business in the state of South Dakota.
Certification Required in South Dakota
South Dakota statute and administrative rules mandate an appraiser be certified, licensed or registered by the Department of Labor and Regulation unless exempt under another provision of this chapter or another provision of this statute. See our Laws, Rules and Standards page for more information.
Vacancy – Appraiser Certification Program Advisory Council
The Department of Labor and Regulation Appraiser Certification Program is seeking nominations to the Advisory Council for a State-Certified General Appraiser located in the western portion of the state.
If you are interested in nominating yourself or another appraiser for appointment to the Advisory Council, please submit your nomination in writing by email, or mail toDepartment of Labor and Regulation, Appraiser Certification Program
217 W. Missouri Ave., 2nd Floor
Pierre, South Dakota 57501
The nomination should include the appraiser’s name, location and the reason that you believe you or the person you have nominated should be appointed to the Advisory Council.
Any person nominated for this position should possess substantial knowledge regarding the statutes and administrative rules regarding appraisers; a reasonable understanding of Title XI of the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act of 1989 (FIRREA) and its impact on the appraiser profession; and be highly respected by other appraiser professionals.
Please submit nominations to the Department no later than Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2022. If you have any questions, please contact Anna McCarthy at 605.773.3803.
South Dakota Appraiser Certification Program
217 W. Missouri Ave
Pierre, SD 57501
Office Phone: 605.773.3803