Marcia Hultman

Cabinet Secretary

Font Size: A A A

Employment Laws

Wage and Hour Issues

You can file a wage dispute, including claim of unpaid wages (wages owed) or not being paid at least minimum wage, by completing the Claim of Unpaid Wages form.

South Dakota Laws

Minimum Wage

South Dakota Codified Law (SDCL) Title 60 pertains to wage and hour regulations in South Dakota.

Administrative Rule of South Dakota (ARSD) 47:04 also pertains to wage and hour regulations in South Dakota.

Additional Wage and Hour Information:

Labor Law Q&A (Adobe PDF)

Compensatory (Comp) Time/Overtime

Holiday Pay

Types of Employment (Salary vs. hourly; part-time vs. full-time)

Work Breaks

Youth Employment

U.S. DOL Wage and Hour

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

FMLA Complaint: How to File a Complaint with US DOL Wage and Hour

Workers Owed Wages Portal: The U.S. DOL Wage and Hour Division (WHD) makes every effort to locate and notify all employees due back wages. If they cannot find an employee, they hold their back wages for three years while they continue to try and locate the employee. If you think you may be owed back wages collected by the WHD you can search their database of workers for whom they have money waiting to be claimed.

Contact Us

South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation
Division of Labor and Management
123 W. Missouri Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: 605.773.3681