Workforce Services for Individuals
The Department of Labor and Regulation believes an educated workforce and citizenry are essential to South Dakota. The Adult Education and Literacy Program, under Title II of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014, supports services and activities to:
- Assist adults to become literate and obtain the knowledge and skills necessary for employment and economic self-sufficiency;
- Assist adults who are parents or family members to obtain the education and skills that:
- Are necessary to becoming full partners in the educational development of their children; and
- Lead to sustainable improvements in the economic opportunities for their family;
- Assist adults in attaining a secondary school diploma and in the transition to postsecondary education and training, including through career pathways; and
- Assist immigrants and other individuals who are English language learners in—
- Improving their:
- Reading, writing, speaking, and comprehension skills in English; and
- Mathematics skills; and
- Acquiring an understanding of the American system of Government, individual freedom, and the responsibilities of citizenship.
- Improving their:
The Adult Education and Literacy Program emphasizes skills such as reading, writing, numeracy, English language competency, problem-solving, health literacy, digital literacy, and family literacy. These skills reinforce workplace readiness, bolster transitions to job training and postsecondary education, as well as sustain a higher quality of life for South Dakotans.
View list of Adult Education and Literacy Program providers.
Read success stories to learn how employers and individuals have found workplace success through the Adult Education and Literacy Program.
Career Learning Center of the Black Hills Success Stories (Additional Career Learning Center of the Black Hills Success Stories)
Lake Area Technical College Watertown AEL Student Success Stories
Lutheran Social Services Success Stories
The Right Turn Success Stories
Adult Education and Literacy brochure
Adult Education fact sheet
Who is an Adult Learner? (Adult Education Learner fact sheet)
General Educational Development (GED®)
GED® fact sheet
South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation
811 East 10th St., Department 41
Sioux Falls, SD 57103