Marcia Hultman

Cabinet Secretary

Font Size: A A A

South Dakota Electrical Commission

Consumer Complaints

You may make a complaint to the Commission if you suspect a person or business of wiring without a license or wiring without a permit. You may contact us by mail, by telephone or by fax.

South Dakota Electrical Commission
217 W. Missouri Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: 605.773.5086
Fax: 605.773.6213

Note: If you want a written response about a complaint, you have to make your complaint in writing. Complaints made by telephone and fax will not receive written responses.

You will need to provide complete information about the problem, including where the wiring violation has occurred and who is doing the wiring. We need enough information to conduct an investigation.

You do not have to give your name. However, please remember that you may need to be available to us to counter objections or denials made by the alleged violator.

We will acknowledge the complaint and notify the electrical inspector for the appropriate district. The electrical inspector will investigate the alleged violation and report his or her findings within 10 days of being notified.

The Commission's executive director will examine the inspector's report and decide if further investigation is called for. If it appears that a violation has occurred (such as wiring without a license), the States Attorney for that district may be notified.

If it appears that no violation has occurred, we will notify you (if you identified yourself to us).

If you make a lawful complaint (without violating state laws and regulations), you will not be charged for the cost of the investigation. However, complaints made for frivolous purposes or for the purpose of harassment are not lawful, and you may be charged with the cost of the investigation.