Marcia Hultman

Cabinet Secretary

Font Size: A A A

South Dakota Real Estate Commission

Nonresident Licensing Information

Nonresidents of South Dakota seeking to obtain the equivalent South Dakota license must successfully complete the below requirements.

To make application for licensure with the South Dakota Real Estate Commission, complete the following:

  • Request DCI fingerprint cards from the Real Estate Commission
  • Register and pass the State Exam at

Mail packet to the Real Estate Commission containing:

  • Completed application with appropriate fee
  • Original score report for state portion of licensing examination
  • Certificate of license history from the real estate regulatory agency from each state/jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license
    • Must be dated within the last 30 days
  • Proof of errors and omissions insurance
  • Completed fingerprint cards and check for $43.25 made payable to "DCI"

If you are a salesperson or broker associate, the responsible broker must obtain a South Dakota broker license.

A firm license must also be obtained if the company is a partnership, limited liability partnership, corporation, limited liability company, or association.

You will need to contact the Secretary of State in order to conduct business in the state of South Dakota.

You will also need to contact the South Dakota Department of Revenue for business tax information.