- Home to DLR
- Home to Division of Insurance
- About Us
- Applications, Forms, Reports, & Related Fees
- Bail Bonds
- Commission Sharing/Commission Rebating
- Continuing Education
- Enforcement/Administrative Actions
- Guidance for Producers - Various Topics
- Laws, Administrative Rules, Bulletins, Memorandums
- Publications (Alerts, Newsletters)
- Report Insurance Fraud
- Securities Regulation
- Sign up for Alerts & Bulletins
- Workers' Compensation
- Contact the Division of Insurance
Division of Insurance - Producer Information
Definition of Terms - Sell, Solicit, Negotiate
The terms sell, solicit and negotiate are used throughout the licensing laws information on this website and are used to determine when a license is required. The terms are defined as follows:
To exchange a contract of insurance by any means, for money or its equivalent, on behalf of an insurance company.
Attempting to sell insurance or asking or urging a person to apply for a particular kind of insurance from a particular company.
The act of conferring directly with or offering advice directly to a purchaser or prospective purchaser of a particular contract of insurance concerning any of the substantive benefits, terms or conditions of the contract if the person engaged in that act either sells insurance or obtains insurance from insurers for purchasers.
Contact the Division of Insurance