- Home to DLR
- Home to Division of Insurance
- About Us
- Applications, Forms, Reports, & Related Fees
- Bail Bonds
- Commission Sharing/Commission Rebating
- Continuing Education
- Enforcement/Administrative Actions
- Guidance for Producers - Various Topics
- Laws, Administrative Rules, Bulletins, Memorandums
- Publications (Alerts, Newsletters)
- Report Insurance Fraud
- Securities Regulation
- Sign up for Alerts & Bulletins
- Workers' Compensation
- Contact the Division of Insurance
Division of Insurance - Bail Bond Producers
List of Active Bail Bond Producers
Bail Bondsperson Producer License Application
Bail Bond Runner Application
Bail Bond Runner Appointment Form
Bail Bondsperson/Runner Information
(See appropriate application and/or appointment form for additional information)
A professional bondsperson is any person who has been approved by the Director of the Division of Insurance and who pledges cash or approved unregistered bonds as security for bail bond in connection with a judicial proceeding and receives or is promised money or other things of value.
A property bondsperson is a person who pledges real or other property as security for a bail bond in a judicial proceeding and who receives or is promised money or other things of value therefore.
A surety bondsperson is any person who has been approved by the Director of the Division of Insurance and appointed by an insurer by power of attorney to execute or countersign bail bonds for the insurer in connection with judicial proceedings who receives or is promised money or other things of value therefore.
A bail bond runner shall mean a person employed by a bail bondsperson for the purpose of assisting the bail bondsperson in presenting the defendant in the court when required, assisting in the apprehension and surrender of defendant to the court, or keeping defendant under necessary surveillance. Anyone performing these activities must be licensed as a runner or bail bondsperson.
All bail bondspersons (surety bondspersons, professional bondspersons, or property bondspersons) must meet the following qualifications:
- Individuals only are to be licensed.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have resided in the state of South Dakota for the preceding year.
- Must pass examination - in the event of failure, one year must intervene before re-examination. Testing information is available on the license application.
- Must actively engage in the bail bond business
- Cannot have been convicted of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, a felony or any crime involving moral turpitude.
- Must authorize the completion of a State and Federal criminal background check and pay any associated costs.
The following persons or classes may not be bail bondspersons or runners and may not directly or indirectly receive any benefits from the execution of any bail bond: jailers, police officers, committing magistrates, magistrate court judges, sheriffs, deputy sheriffs and constables, or any person having the power to arrest or having anything to do with the control of federal, state, county or municipal prisoners.
Contact the Division of Insurance