- Home to DLR
- Home to Services for Veterans
- Information for Veterans
- Information for Employers
- Find Your Job Service Office
Services for Veterans
Veterans Upward Bound
The Veterans Upward Bound Program (VUB) provides qualified veterans with help in improving their educational skills before attending a college, university or technical school. To be eligible, you must:
- Be low income and/or first generation military veterans.
- Have served 181 or more days in the active military service and received other than a dishonorable discharge, or
- Have been discharged because of a service-connected disability, or
- Have been a member of a reserve component called to active military duty for a period of more than 30 days, or
- Have been a member of a reserve component of the Armed Forces who served on active duty in support of a contingency operation on or after September 11, 2001.
- Academic refresher classes.
- Tutoring (individual and group).
- Study skills.
- College curriculum information.
- Preparation for college, university or technical school entrance.
- Help preparing for the GED.
In addition, the program offers career services such as:
- Career interest inventories.
- Follow-up information on specific job outlooks.
- Help finding training opportunities.
- Career exploration.
- Help defining choices and planning.
- Information on money for college or technical school.
- Help completing financial aid applications.
VUB is available at no cost to the participants. All supplies, instructional materials, career, financial aid and academic services are provided without charge.
Veterans can attend the following schools to receive Veterans Upward Bound assistance: South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, the University Center in Rapid City including Black Hills State University and National American University; and Western Dakota Technical Institute. Also, Veterans Upward Bound serves veterans attending online and other programs offered in the Black Hills region.
For more information, contact:
Veterans Upward Bound Program Advisor
501 E. St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD 57701