- Home to DLR
- Home to Reemployment Assistance
- Advisory Council
- CARES Act -Benefits & Implementation
- Services for Individuals
- Services for Businesses
- Employer Menu
- Register Your Business
- File a Quarterly Report
- Report New Hires
- Filing Instructions for PUA
- Filing Instructions for Bulk Claims
- State Information Data Exchange System (SIDES) e-Response
- Wage Reporting
- Preparing for an Audit
- Employer Handbook (Adobe PDF format)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Field Locations
- Posting Requirement
- Employer Appeals
- Report New Hires
- Report Possible Fraud
- Equal Opportunity to Services
- South Dakota Laws & Rules
Reemployment Assistance Benefits
Things to Know Before You File a Claim for Benefits
You will need the following information to file a claim for reemployment assistance benefits.
- Social Security Number
- Driver’s license number or other state identification number
- Your employment history for the last 18 months, including:
- Each employer’s name, address and phone number
- Dates of employment (month and year)
- Pay rate
- Reason you are no longer working for the employer
- The name and local number of your union hall, if you obtain work through the union.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. Citizen.
- Your SF-8 and SF-50 forms if you are a federal employee.
- Your DD214 if you served in the military.
- If you worked for Non-South Dakota employers you must have an accurate mailing address and telephone number for them.
What Happens After You File a Claim
After you file for benefits you will receive in the mail:
- A Monetary Determination of Benefits showing what your weekly benefit amount will be and your total amount of benefits, if you are monetarily eligible.
- A Claimant Checklist with instructions on how and when to file a weekly request for payment.
- The Facts About Reemployment Assistance Benefits handbook (Adobe PDF format) with instructions and answers to many of your questions. You’re responsible for knowing the requirements and following the rules.
Watch for and read any information we send to you. The information may be time sensitive and affect your eligibility for benefits.
Once you have filed your claim, it will be reviewed to determine if your circumstances meet the eligibility requirements of the Reemployment Assistance program. The information you provide is verified to ensure only those entitled to benefits receive them. It is important to always give complete and true information. Misrepresenting or knowingly withholding information is considered fraud. If you commit fraud you may be denied benefits for future weeks, be required to pay back benefits you received, and be subject to additional penalties.
If there are no issues to be investigated, you will receive a final eligibility determination by mail within about 21 days of receiving your Monetary Determination. View eight common reasons your payments might be delayed. If you are deemed eligible, the first weekly request for payment you file will be used as your non-paid waiting week. Everyone serves one waiting week per benefit year.
File online at raclaims.sd.gov 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Online filing is the fastest way to apply for benefits. See the browser requirements below before logging in. If you exit the application before receiving a confirmation number, any information you entered on the application will be lost. Your application will not be accepted unless you receive a confirmation number.
File by telephone Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:20 p.m. (CST) by contacting the Claims Call Center at 605.626.3179. For TTY service, dial 711 or 800.877.1113. Translator services available on request.
The Call Center is closed on all state holidays.
If you worked in a state other than South Dakota and now live in South Dakota, an interstate claim can be filed against the state where you worked and earned wages during the last 18-month period. Filing information, including telephone numbers to call can be obtained by contacting Customer Service at 605.626.2452. The state where you worked will make all determinations on your eligibility according to its laws and regulations.
You must have one of the following web browsers to file a claim online:
- Internet Explorer version 8 or newer
- Mozilla Firefox version 10 or newer
- Safari Version 5.15 or newer
- Google Chrome version 15 or newer
You must be able to accept cookies and allow pop-ups.
Download the How to File an Reemployment Assistance Claim brochure (available below in Adobe PDF format in both English and Spanish) containing instructions on options for filing a claim for reemployment assistance benefits.
How to File an Reemployment Assistance Claim brochure in English
How to File an Reemployment Assistance Claim brochure in Spanish
Back to main Reemployment Assistance Benefits page