- Home to DLR
- Home to Reemployment Assistance
- Advisory Council
- Services for Individuals
- Services for Businesses
- Employer Menu
- Register Your Business
- File a Quarterly Report
- Report New Hires
- Filing Instructions for Bulk Claims
- State Information Data Exchange System (SIDES) e-Response
- Wage Reporting
- Preparing for an Audit
- Employer Handbook (Adobe PDF format)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Field Locations
- Posting Requirement
- Employer Appeals
- Report New Hires
- Report Possible Fraud
- Equal Opportunity to Services
- South Dakota Laws & Rules
Reemployment Assistance Benefits
Things to Know Before You File a Claim for Benefits
You will need the following information to file a claim for reemployment assistance benefits.
- Social Security Number
- Driver’s license number or other state identification number
- Your employment history for the last 18 months, including:
- Each employer’s name, address and phone number
- Dates of employment (month and year)
- Pay rate
- Reason you are no longer working for the employer
- The name and local number of your union hall, if you obtain work through the union.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. Citizen.
- Your SF-8 and SF-50 forms if you are a federal employee.
- Your DD214 if you served in the military.
- If you worked for Non-South Dakota employers you must have an accurate mailing address and telephone number for them.
Filing a Claim
You can file a claim online or by telephone.
Filing online is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week through the RA Benefits Portal. Online filing is the fastest way to apply for benefits.
To file by telephone, contact the Claims Call Center at 605.626.3179, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:20 p.m. (Central Time). For TTY service, dial 711 or 800.877.1113. Translator services available on request.
Please direct any questions to our Customer Service Center at 605.626.2452, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Central Time).
The Claims Call Center and Customer Service Center are closed on all state holidays.
If you worked in a state other than South Dakota and now live in South Dakota, an interstate claim can be filed against the state where you worked and earned wages during the last 18-month period. Filing information, including telephone numbers to call can be obtained by contacting Customer Service at 605.626.2452. The state where you worked will make all determinations on your eligibility according to its laws and regulations.
What Happens After You File a Claim
After you file for benefits you will receive in the mail:
- A Monetary Determination of Benefits showing what your weekly benefit amount will be and your total amount of benefits, if you are monetarily eligible.
- A Claimant Checklist with instructions on how and when to file a weekly request for payment.
- The Facts About Reemployment Assistance Benefits handbook (Adobe PDF format) with instructions and answers to many of your questions. You’re responsible for knowing the requirements and following the rules.
Watch for and read any information we send to you. The information may be time sensitive and affect your eligibility for benefits.
Once you have filed your claim, it will be reviewed to determine if your circumstances meet the eligibility requirements of the Reemployment Assistance program. The information you provide is verified to ensure only those entitled to benefits receive them. It is important to always give complete and true information. Misrepresenting or knowingly withholding information is considered fraud. If you commit fraud you may be denied benefits for future weeks, be required to pay back benefits you received, and be subject to additional penalties.
If there are no issues to be investigated, you will receive a final eligibility determination by mail within about 21 days of receiving your Monetary Determination. If you are deemed eligible, the first weekly request for payment you file will be used as your non-paid waiting week. Everyone serves one waiting week per benefit year.
Download the How to File an Reemployment Assistance Claim brochure containing instructions on options for filing a claim for reemployment assistance benefits.
How to File an Reemployment Assistance Claim brochure English | Spanish | Somali
View the Profile RA Benefits Portal Profile Guide, a quick start guide for logging in and setting up a profile in the RA Benefits Portal (Spanish and Somali coming soon.)
Back to main Reemployment Assistance Benefits page