Marcia Hultman

Cabinet Secretary

Font Size: A A A

Reemployment Assistance Benefits

Report Work and Earnings

The reemployment assistance claim week begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday at midnight. The first question you will be asked on your weekly request for payment is, “During the week you are requesting payment for, did you work for an employer or in self-employment?” If you performed any type of work during the week you are filing a request for, you must answer “yes” to that question.

You must report all hours worked (to the nearest tenth of an hour) regardless of your employer’s work week or pay period, including self-employment (after expenses), even if you have not been paid.

You must report your gross earnings, including tips (in dollars and cents), before taxes and deductions. If you have questions about how to report your earnings, call Customer Service at 605.626.2452.

You must report:

  • Full time, part-time, or temporary work
  • Paid training for any employer
  • Military reserve or National Guard duty
  • Self-employment, work on contract or commission basis
  • Holiday, severance, vacation pay
  • Cash value of work performed in exchange for anything of value

If you work less than full-time and earn less than your weekly benefit amount during the week you are claiming, you will be entitled to partial reemployment assistance benefits if you meet all other eligibility requirements. In order to be eligible for partial benefits you must report your hours worked and earnings for the calendar week and make an active search for work. Earnings will reduce your benefits. Seventy-five percent of earnings over $25 will be deducted from your weekly benefit amount.

You will not be eligible for benefits if:

  • Your gross earnings are equal to or more than your weekly benefit amount.
  • You worked 40 hours or more during the week claimed, regardless of the amount of earnings.

Your work and earnings that you report while filing for reemployment assistance benefits are verified with your employer. You are responsible for any inaccurate or incomplete information you provide. If you receive more income than you reported, you are responsible to contact Customer Service, at 605.626.2452, to correct your reported earnings. Your failure to correctly report all work and earnings could result in overpayments and penalties.

Back to main Reemployment Assistance Benefits page