Marcia Hultman

Cabinet Secretary

Font Size: A A A

Reemployment Assistance

Reporting South Dakota RA Fraud/Identity Theft

If you have received a 1099-G tax form from the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation (DLR), and believe you may be a victim of identity theft because you did not file for or receive unemployment benefits from DLR in 2020, please email RA Fraud. The RA Division will investigate and send out an amended 1099-G if appropriate.

Additionally, you may wish to take these steps to further protect your identity:

  1. File a police report with your local police department. Obtain a copy of the report you can provide to creditors and credit agencies.
  2. Change passwords on your email, banking, and other personal accounts.
  3. Make a list of credit card companies, banks, and other financial institutions where you do business. Tell them you are a victim of identity theft and ask them to put a fraud alert on your account.
  4. Get a copy of your credit report and dispute any fraudulent transactions. You can request credit reports online from the three major credit reporting agencies (Equifax 800.349.9960, Experian 888.397.3742, and Transunion 888.909.8872) or by calling 877.322.8228.
  5. Place a credit freeze with each of the three major credit reporting agencies by calling the agencies or freezing your credit online.
  6. Place a fraud alert on your credit file. You can do this by contacting just one of the credit agencies to add an alert with all three agencies.
  7. Report identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC website has a wealth of information for identity theft victims, including assistance with a recovery plan. You can also contact them by phone at 877.438.4338
  8. If you suspect someone is using your SSN for work purposes, contact the Social Security Administration at 800.772.1213 to report the problem. They will review your earnings with you to ensure they are correct. You can also review earnings posted to your social security statement online for workers 18 and older.
  9. Consider filing a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice National Center for Disaster Fraud (NCDF).
  10. Maintain a good record (keep all documents and record all conversations) you can access when necessary in re-establishing your identity and credit history.
  11. If you suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft view the Internal Revenue Service's Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft page for guidance.

See the Issuance of Erroneous Forms 1099-G due to Fraudulent Unemployment Insurance Claims alert (issued Feb. 26, 2021, by the National Unemployment Insurance Fraud Task Force).