- Home to DLR
- Home to Board of Barber Examiners
- Board Information
- Consumer Information
- Consumer Complaints
- Disciplinary Actions
- Health, Safety & Sanitary Rules
- Rosters of Barbers & Barbershops
- South Dakota Laws & Rules
- Tax Information
- Contact Us
- Other Boards & Commissions
South Dakota Board of Barber Examiners
The Board of Barber Examiners protects the health and safety of the consumer public by licensure of qualified persons, licensing and inspection of barbershop facilities, enforcement of the statutes, rules and regulations governing the practice of barbering including the appropriate resolution of complaints.
We regulate the following acts constituting the practice of barbering. Any one or any combination of the following practices when done for compensation or without payment for the public generally, upon the upper part of the human body for cosmetic purposes:
- Shaving or trimming the beard or cutting the hair;
- Giving facial and scalp massages or treatment with oils, creams, lotions, or other preparations either by hand or mechanical appliances;
- Singeing, shampooing, or dyeing the hair or applying hair tonics;
- Applying cosmetic preparations, antiseptics, powders, oils, clays, or lotions to the scalp, face, neck, or upper part of the body.
The Board has moved to 217 W. Missouri Ave. in Pierre.
See our Holiday Closure page for upcoming state office holiday closures.
Executive Director: Tyler Evins
Senior Secretary: Miranda Wilson
Education & Licensing Coordinator: Lynda Fratzke
217 W. Missouri Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501