- Home to DLR
- Home to Training Opportunities
- Post-Secondary Success Modules
- Training Providers & Programs
- Registered Apprenticeships
- Senior Community Service Employment Program
- StartTodaySD Apprenticeship Program
- Tuition Assistance
- Workforce Development Council
- Workforce Training for Adults & Dislocated Workers
- Workforce Training for Young Adults
- Additional Opportunities
UpSkill Program Options
SD UpSkill was created to help people open doors to new career paths, especially those affected by the pandemic. Eligible certificate programs are designed to help build workforce in South Dakota’s most in-demand fields.Fields in past semesters have included:
Each year, eligible certificate programs may change as the demand for careers does. For Fall 2022, eligible certificates are outlined at the state’s technical colleges below. Deadline for Fall 2022 semester was Friday, Aug. 5. (Individuals are eligible to apply to the technical college and DLR at any point for consideration of financial assistance for future semesters.)
SD UpSkill Certificates
Check back for the release of Spring 2022 program offering from South Dakota's technical colleges.
Am I Eligible?
UpSkill eligibility depends on factors like income, if you’ve been laid off from a job or if you have a disability. Participants must be authorized to work in the United States, reside in South Dakota, must score a 235 or higher on the ACCUPLACER® as determined by the technical college, and meet DLR's eligibility requirements for financial assistance:
- Eligibility as identified in Occupational Skill Training Policy 5.27
- Eligibility scenarios including:
- Single Parent
- Long Term Unemployed
- Native American/Hawaiian Native/Alaska Native
- 55 and older
- Substance Abuse
- Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker
- English Language Learners
- Within two years of exhausting TANF
- Veterans and Eligible Spouses who are NOT included in the priority groups 1 or 3
- Displaced Homemaker (Displaced Homemaker will be served under the Dislocated Worker Program)
- WIOA Title I Dislocated Worker
- WIOA Title I National Dislocated Worker
- WIOA Title I Youth
Upping your game with SD UpSkill is easy. It all starts with finding the certificate program that’s right for you. Then:
- Apply to the technical college that’s offering your certificate of interest.
- A DLR representative will get in touch if you’re eligible for UpSkill.
- Once we contact you, you’ll complete UpSkill orientation to get tools, training and career coaching right away.
Deadline for Fall 2022 semester is Friday, Aug. 5.
Find your Career Path
With so many options out there, it’s easy to imagine what’s possible. If you need help exploring career paths, programs and your career interests, we’re here to help.