- Home to DLR
- Home to Training Opportunities
- Post-Secondary Success Modules
- Training Providers & Programs
- Registered Apprenticeships
- Senior Community Service Employment Program
- StartTodaySD Apprenticeship Program
- Tuition Assistance
- Workforce Development Council
- Workforce Training for Adults & Dislocated Workers
- Workforce Training for Young Adults
- Additional Opportunities
SD UpSkill Orientation
Once you’ve applied for a certificate program and been accepted into a technical college, a DLR representative will contact you about the orientation process on this page. If you haven’t applied to your certificate program yet, please start by applying to one of the technical colleges.
Before You Get Started
If a DLR representative has reached out to you, it’s time to start the orientation process so you can access services, training and more. The process can take 1 to 2 hours, and you will need a few documents before you start:
- I9 work authorization: U.S. passport, resident card or alien registration receipt card, foreign passport with temporary I-551 stamp or employment authorization document with photo.
- If you don’t have one of these I9 documents, you will need to provide other documents outlined in your form packet.
If you have questions along the way, watch our orientation video (read transcript) or contact us.
Step 1: Complete a Form Packet
Fill out each page. This is where you’ll need I9 documentation or other forms of ID stating you can work in the U.S. When you’re finished, hit “submit.” If you need a parent/guardian signature due to your age, we can work with you to get it after you submit your packet.
Complete Form Packet – English
Complete Form Packet – Español
Step 2: Create an SDWORKS Account
Creating an SDWORKS account will help you access tools, trainings and case management. If you already have an account, you can log in or retrieve your username/password on the same page.
Create SDWORKS Account
Step 3: Create a Microsoft Account
You’ll also need a free Microsoft account to access virtual meetings. You can create one or use an existing account.
Create Microsoft Account
Step 4: Download Microsoft Teams
Once you create your Microsoft account, next you’ll download Microsoft Teams for free, which is how you’ll attend virtual meetings.
When asked How do you want to use Teams, select For work and organizations. Click next.
Enter your first and last name, then enter UpSkill under Company Name.
Step 5: Now it’s our Turn
After completing these steps, a DLR representative will reach out to schedule a Microsoft Teams meeting to talk through everything.