- Home to DLR
- Home to Workforce Services for Businesses
- Employment Laws
- Individuals with Disabilities
- Labor Market Information
- Layoff/Closure Services
- National Career Readiness Certificate
- Providing Apprenticeship Opportunities
- Recruitment & Hiring
- Reemployment Assistance
- Veterans, Hiring
- Workforce Training & Education
- Find a Local Job Service Office
Workforce Services for Businesses
The South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation is committed to providing quality services to assist individuals with disabilities find employment. We also serve as a resource for businesses as they benefit from the talents these individuals offer through employment.
Creating an Environment in the Workplace to Encourage Disability Disclosure
National Disability Institute influences thinking and behavior through pioneering research, advocacy, policy development, training and technical assistance.
Despite myths, accommodations for employees typically cost nothing. For those that do have a cost, they are generally less than $500. Accommodations should not focus on the person's disability, rather what is needed for this person to perform the essential tasks of the job. Accommodations can range from an adjusted work schedule or screen reader to a phone headset or ergonomic workstation. Employers who have implemented an accommodation have reported increased retention and productivity among those employees. You can learn more about accommodations at the following sites:
- Visit the Job Accommodation Network to receive individual consultation regarding job accommodations.
- Universal Design (UD) is a strategy for making products, environments, operational systems and services welcoming and usable to the most diverse range of people possible.
- If you have an employee who needs an assistive technology accommodation, DakotaLink serves the entire state of South Dakota with assistive technology needs.
Find out through the Internal Revenue Service about tax benefits for businesses who have employees with disabilities.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- ADA.gov is the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division's website. It provides Information and Technical Assistance regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- The ADA Business Connection provides ADA compliance resources for businesses.
- The U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy develops and influences disability employment-related policies and practices affecting an increase in the employment of people with disabilities.
- The Complete Guide to Social Security Disability Benefits
- Employer Assistance & Resource Network (EARN) provides free technical assistance, consultation and training for employers on all aspects of the employment of persons with disabilities.
- U.S. Small Business Administration provides a summary of resources encouraging the recruitment of hiring of people with disabilities for employers.
- U.S. Department of Labor elaws is a website designed to help employers determine which nondiscrimination laws apply to their business or organization.
Resources in South Dakota
- The South Dakota Division of Rehabilitation Services can help individuals with disabilities to obtain or maintain employment, economic self-sufficiency, personal independence and full inclusion into society.
- The South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation has information on labor and employment laws.
- The South Dakota Retailers Association is Getting Down To Business across South Dakota. Read featured articles or watch a YouTube video sharing how businesses in South Dakota are using the abilities of individuals with disabilities to improve their organization.
- Workforce Diversity Network of the Black Hills (WDNBH) is a team of business and human resource individuals to serve as a link between employers and individuals with disabilities who have the desire and qualifications to work. Members of WDNBH recognize that a healthy workforce is diversified and inclusive of persons with disabilities.
- A Business Resource Guide developed through a partnership of the South Dakota Division of Rehabilitation Services and the South Dakota Retailers Association contains helpful information for businesses recruiting, hiring and maintaining employees with disabilities.
- DakotaLink serves the entire state of South Dakota with assistive technology needs.
- The Business Resource Network in Sioux Falls provides businesses with education, awareness and resources to promote the successful employment of persons with disabilities.
- Department of Human Services has a number of services and programs for people with disabiltities.
ADA VideosThe DLR has released three videos featuring tools and resources to help both employers and employees better understand the ADA.
What You Need to Know about the ADA is perfect for employers to share with their employees during the on-boarding process. It briefly explains protections under the ADA and expectations for communicating a disability. It also provides etiquette tips when working with or providing services to those who have a disability.
ADA Pre-Employment Considerations shows employers how to improve hiring practices and allow for the inclusion of individuals with disabilities in the applicant pool. It also provides an overview of the ADA and tips on how to abide by the ADA during the hiring process.
The Pre-Employment Considerations FAQ fact sheet (Adobe PDF) contains guidance and considerations for pre-employment scenarios.
ADA Considerations During Employment features considerations during employment. This essential employer resource reviews how to accommodate and retain new or existing employees with disabilities in accordance to the ADA.
The Considerations During Employment FAQ fact sheet (Adobe PDF) contains guidance and considerations for scenarios during employment.