- Home to DLR
- Home to Reemployment Assistance
- Advisory Council
- Services for Individuals
- Services for Businesses
- Report New Hires
- Report Possible Fraud
- Equal Opportunity to Services
- South Dakota Laws & Rules
Reemployment Assistance Benefits
Unemployment Claims: Tips for Workers
A new “last name” filing system is being implemented Monday, March 30, for claimants who want to file by telephone. Based on the first letter of your last name, claimants should file by phone on the day assigned to their last names:
|Filing Schedule by Last Name|
|If you missed your day, you can file Thursday or Friday.|
- View possible eligibility scenarios.
- COVID-19 Pandemic Scenarios and Benefits Available
- To file an unemployment claim, visit raclaims.sd.gov or call 605-626-3179 or 605.626.2452.
- The current phone wait time is approximately one hour, so online filing is encouraged.
- You will need your Social Security number, driver’s license or State ID, and 18 months of work history.
- If you cannot get your claim filed in the first week, do not stress. Claims can be back dated.
- Unemployment benefits are a partial wage replacement. The average benefit is approximately half of your weekly wage, capped at a maximum of $414 per week.
- The quickest way to receive benefit payments is by direct deposit. The debit card option will add a few days for processing and mailing.
- As of now, a COVID-19 related layoff lasting less than 10 weeks does not require the person to be able, available, and actively looking for work.
- The non-paid waiting week required before an individual may receive unemployment benefits is waived, effective until the declared state of emergency ends. The waiver period applies to weekly requests for payment filed for the week ending April 4, 2020, and forward.
- People who are being paid to work from home or those receiving paid sick or vacation leave are NOT eligible for unemployment compensation benefits.
- After you file an initial claim, you will receive a packet in the mail. It will contain your monetary benefit determination, claimant checklist and handbook.
- To be paid, claimants need to file a weekly request for payment, even though the work search requirement is currently waived. Unemployment claimants filing a weekly request for benefits should call 605-626-3212 after 6 p.m. CDT, or file online anytime at RAclaims.sd.gov.
- To cancel a claim, email CancelRA@state.sd.us your name and last four digits of Social Security number.
- General questions can be directed to the Customer Service Center at 605.626.2452.
How to File a UI Claim video walks through the steps on filing a reemployment assistance (unemployment insurance) claim online.
Our Filing a Weekly Request for Payment video walks through the steps on filing a weekly request for payment on line.
Our Frequently Asked Questions video shows claimants where to find commonly asked questions and find frequently accessed quick links concerning unemployment claims.
Download the How to File an Reemployment Assistance Claim brochure (available below in Adobe PDF format in both English and Spanish) containing instructions on options for filing a claim for reemployment assistance benefits.
How to File an Reemployment Assistance Claim brochure in English
How to File an Reemployment Assistance Claim brochure in Spanish
Back to main Reemployment Assistance Benefits page