- Home to DLR
- Home to Board of Accountancy
- Board Information
- Annual Register
- Complaint Procedures
- Continuing Professional Education
- CPA Exam
- Disciplinary Action
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Moving? Let us know!
- License Lookup
- Laws & Rules
- Useful Links
- Other Boards & Commissions
- Contact Us
South Dakota Board of Accountancy
Instructions for the Initial CPA Certificate Application
The Initial CPA Certificate Application (Adobe PDF format) should be completed and submitted to the Board's office with the appropriate fee and accompanying documents.
- $50 fee, if applying between August 1 - January 31 OR
- $25 fee, if applying between February 1 - July 31
Make checks payable to the South Dakota Board of Accountancy. Include a $50 late fee if applying after 90 days of becoming eligible for a certificate.
If you have passed the CPA Examination as a South Dakota candidate, submit the application and fee according to the above schedule, along with the following documentation:
- Complete and submit the Certificate of Experience form (Adobe PDF format).
- Submit the AICPA Professional Ethics exam certificate of completion showing a passing score.
If you have passed the CPA Examination as a candidate of another state board, submit the application (Adobe PDF format) and fee according to the above schedule, along with the following documentation:
- Complete and submit the Authorization for Interstate Exchange of Examination and Licensure Information (BOA7) (Adobe PDF format) and send it to your Board of Accountancy so they can transfer your grades to the South Dakota Board and verify that you have passed the ethics examination.
- Submit an official transcript of educational credits or have your college send one to the Board office. If your transcript is from a foreign college or university, it must be evaluated by a foreign academic credential service.
- Complete and submit the Certificate of Experience form (Adobe PDF format) along with three mailing labels with the names and addresses of your character references. The labels will be used to mail reference forms to your character references.
All applicants please carefully follow instructions for completing and submitting applications. Before mailing, check the following:
- Be sure your application is completed, signed and dated. Make a copy for your records and submit the original application and accompanying documents.
- Please note that you should have completed the professional ethics examination and have received notice of a passing score.
Please note: Failure to follow directions and/or submit all required information may result in rejection of your application.
Please contact us if you have any questions.