- Home to DLR
- Home to Cosmetology Commission
- Commission Information
- Consumer Information
- Licensing Requirements
- Moving? Let us know!
- Blood Spill Regulations
- Posting Requirements
- Resources for Licensees
- South Dakota Laws & Rules
- Useful Links
- Contact Us
- Other Boards & Commissions
South Dakota Cosmetology Commission
The mission of the South Dakota Cosmetology Commission is to ensure the health and safety of our citizens as they use cosmetology, esthetics and nail technology services.
Notice of Public Hearing to Adopt Rules
A public hearing will be held at the Department of Labor and Regulation Office located at 811 East 10th Street, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, on May 5, 2017, at 1 p.m. (CDT), to consider the adoption and amendment of proposed rules numbered §§
20:42:01:01, 20:42:03:04, 20:42:03:12, 20:42:03:13, 20:42:04:04, 20:42:04:04.03, 20:42:04:05.01, 20:42:04:08.01, 20:42:04:09.01, 20:42:04:10.01, 20:42:06:05, 20:42:06:32, 20:42:08:03, 20:42:08:03.01, 20:42:08:04, 20:42:08:05.01, 20:42:08:09
The effect of the rules will be to make rules easier to read and more user friendly, make the process for becoming a senior instructor easier, increase safety and lower risks of spreading infections.
The reason for adopting the proposed rules is to update and clarify rules, define new terms, more clearly list prohibited equipment and procedures, update and specify safety and infection control procedures, add new certification requirement, update rules relating to instructors, and remove outdated rule.
Persons interested in presenting data, opinions, and arguments for or against the proposed rules may do so by appearing in person at the hearing or by sending them to the South Dakota Cosmetology Commission, 500 E. Capitol Avenue, Pierre, South Dakota 57501. Material sent by mail must reach the Cosmetology Commission by May 2, 2017, to be considered.
After the hearing, the board will consider all written and oral comments it receives on the proposed rules. The board may modify or amend a proposed rule at that time to include or exclude matters that are described in this notice.
Notice is further given to individuals with disabilities that this hearing is being held in a physically accessible place. Please notify the Cosmetology Commission at least 48 hours before the public hearing if you have special needs for which special arrangements must be made. The telephone number for making special arrangements is 605.773.6193.
See the proposed rules (Adobe PDF format). Printed copies of the proposed rules may be obtained without charge from:
South Dakota Cosmetology Commission
221 W. Capitol Ave., Suite 101
Pierre, South Dakota 57501
Online Licensee Services
Before logging on to renew your license using our new online system, please visit our License Renewal page for important information to remember.
LOG IN HERE
Licensees, log in to:
- Renew your licenses
- Apply for a salon or booth license
Cosmetology Commission Mission
The Commission ensures the health and safety of citizens by:
- examining and licensing qualified practitioners
- conducting inspections of cosmetology, esthetics and nail salons, booths and schools
- enforcing statutes, rules and regulations governing the practice of cosmetology, esthetics and nail technology, including consumer complaints
- resolving complaints
- overseeing the educational process of cosmetology schools and licensees
We regulate the following activities when done for any fee or compensation:
- hair care (styling, wrapping, arranging, braiding, twisting, weaving, extending, fusing, dressing, curling, waving, permanent waving, singeing, cleansing, shampooing, cutting, bleaching, setting, coloring, straightening, relaxing, fitting, massaging, or similar work upon the hair, scalp, wigs or hairpieces of a person)
- skin care or esthetics (beautifying, massaging, cleansing, exfoliating, stimulating, applying oils, creams, cosmetic preparations, make-up, facial treatments, body treatments, body wraps, antiseptics, scrubs, clays, lotions, masks, waxes or other preparations for the noninvasive care of the skin)
- nail care (cutting, filing, trimming, shaping, polishing, coloring, removing polish, tinting, air-brushing, decorating, cleansing or otherwise beautifying a person's fingernails or toenails; applying and removing artificial nails; or massaging, cleansing and exfoliating a person's hands, arms, feet and legs)
- removal of superfluous hair by nonpermanent means
- education, equipment and safety and sanitation in salons, booths and schools
In no case may the above procedures be invasive or medical treatment.
More details may be found in the Scope of Practice (Adobe PDF format).
The Cosmetology Commission does not regulate:
- barbers (regulated by the South Dakota Board of Barber Examiners, 605.642.1600)
- electrology, permanent hair removal
- body piercing and ear piercing
- permanent makeup and tattooing
- massage therapy (regulated by the South Dakota Massage Therapy Board, 605.224.1721)
Executive Director: Kathryn "Kate" Boyd
Program Assistant: Kelsey Skoglund
Secretary: Bradi Stampe
Mailing Address: 500 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501
Location: 221 W. Capitol, Suite 101, Pierre, SD 57501