- Home to DLR
- Home to Board of Barber Examiners
- Board Information
- Consumer Information
- Consumer Complaints
- Disciplinary Actions
- Health, Safety & Sanitary Rules
- Rosters of Barbers & Barbershops
- South Dakota Laws & Rules
- Tax Information
- Contact Us
- Other Boards & Commissions
South Dakota Board of Barber Examiners
The Board of Barber Examiners protects the health and safety of the consumer public by licensure of qualified persons, licensing and inspection of barbershop facilities, enforcement of the statutes, rules and regulations governing the practice of barbering including the appropriate resolution of complaints.
We regulate the following acts constituting the practice of barbering. Any one or any combination of the following practices when done for compensation or without payment for the public generally, upon the upper part of the human body for cosmetic purposes:
- Shaving or trimming the beard or cutting the hair;
- Giving facial and scalp massages or treatment with oils, creams, lotions, or other preparations either by hand or mechanical appliances;
- Singeing, shampooing, or dyeing the hair or applying hair tonics;
- Applying cosmetic preparations, antiseptics, powders, oils, clays, or lotions to the scalp, face, neck, or upper part of the body.
Notice of Public Hearing
The South Dakota Board of Barber Examiners will hold a public hearing meeting to consider the adoption and amendment of proposed rules numbered:
20:39:02:04, 20:39:03:01 to 20:39:03:06, inclusive, 20:39:04:01 to 20:39:04:03, inclusive, and 20:39:05:02
The meeting will be held via teleconference on Monday, Aug. 28, 2017 beginning at 1 p.m. MDT, with public meeting space available at the Board of Barber Examiners’ office at 629 Main St., Spearfish. A regular business meeting will immediately follow the public hearing meeting. Those attending by phone can call 605.224.1125, enter the access code of 0118628#. For assistance, call 605.773.3011.
Please notify the Board of Barber Examiners at least 48 hours before the public hearing if you have special needs for which special arrangements must be made. The telephone number for making special arrangements is 605.642.1600.
View or print the Proposed Rules (Adobe PDF format).
If you cannot find answers to your questions among the topics listed to the left, please contact us.
Executive Secretary: Carol Tellinghuisen
810 N. Main Street, Suite 298
Spearfish, SD 57783