- Home to DLR
- Home to Workforce Services for Businesses
- Adult Education
- High School Equivalency
- Incumbent Worker
- Job Shadowing/Informational Interviews
- National Career Readiness Certificate
- On-the-Job Training
- Registered Apprenticeships
- Senior Community Service Employment Program
- Soft Skills Training
- Tuition Assistance
- Workforce Development Council
Workforce Training and Education
Bring your 'A' Game to Work - Soft Skills Training Opportunity
The seven soft skill behaviors determined to be the most important are addressed in the Bring your ‘A’ Game to Work training: Attendance, Appearance, Attitude, Ambition, Accountability, Acceptance and Appreciation.
The curriculum is designed for participants to discover these skills through activities and group participation. The curriculum has two different options for length; two 4 hour sessions or one 8 hour session including versions for youth, adults, and veterans. The cost of the participant is based off of a total of 8 hours for the workshop and the providers are charging a range from $99 to $340 per participant.
Seven partners across the state are setting up Soft Skills Workshops. They have received certificates in the train-the-trainer workshop and are working on scheduling workshops in their areas. The partners include:
- Black Hills Special Services: covering Northern and Southern Black Hills, and Rapid City
- Cornerstones: covering Huron, Aberdeen, Mitchell, Yankton, and Vermillion
- Lake Area Tech: covering Watertown, Brookings, Sisseton, Milbank, and Aberdeen
- Lutheran Social Services, covering Sioux Falls
- Out Source Projects: covering Brookings and Madison
- The Right Turn: covering Pierre, Blunt, Chamberlain, Mission, Winner, Presho, Puck-wana, Rosebud, and Fort Thompson
- Southeast Tech: covering Sioux Falls
Following completion of the workshop, participants are eligible to earn the Certificate of Work Ethic through an online assessment. There are also pencil and paper assessments. The sssessment requires a 90% score in order to pass and then provides the certificate.
In case studies that were done on the workshops, employees felt significantly more confident, prepared and excited for work after their certification.
- 30% felt confident
- 93% fewer felt angry
- 22% more felt prepared
- 21% more felt excited
- 19# fewer felt nervous
Employees had a more defined sense of purpose in their reason for working after certification.
- A sense of accomplishment as a reason for working increased by more than 40%.
- Being bored as a reason for working decreased 50%.
More indicators of improved performance after completing the training have included:
- Showing up for work more consistently
- Having a better attitude on the job
- Wearing the assigned uniform all the time
- Being more eager to learn on the job
- Showing more respect for the manager
- Treating customers with more respect
View upcoming workshops across the state.