Marcia Hultman

Cabinet Secretary

Font Size: A A A

Division of Insurance - Producer Information

Non-Resident Producers


To obtain a non-resident producer license you must be licensed and in good standing in your home state as a resident producer.

Please complete a licensing application via Sircon (Vertafore) or the National Association of Insurance Commissioners Producer Registry (NIPR). A fee of $30 and applicable service fee will be due at the time your electronic application is submitted.

You do not need to send your application to a sponsoring insurance company.

If you are a resident producer in any state that currently subscribes to NIPR you do not need to submit a home state certification with your application.

The South Dakota Division of Insurance will verify your licensing status, lines of authority, continuing education (CE) compliance and any prior administrative actions via NIPR prior to issuing any non-resident producer license.

Non-resident producers are exempt from CE requirements in South Dakota. You only need to comply with CE requirements in your home state.

South Dakota does not require pre-licensing education.

If you hold a South Dakota non-resident producer license and, upon relocating to our state, you apply for a new resident producer license within 90 days of the termination of the resident producer license in your home state, you will not have to complete insurance exams in this state.

No person is required to be licensed as a producer if his or her activities are limited to securing and furnishing information for the purpose of group life insurance, group annuities, group or blanket accident and health insurance, or for the purpose of enrolling individuals under such plans or administering such plans. This exemption is only applicable for true group insurance plans in which an employer sponsors such plan and employees are provided the option of enrolling in that plan. If you sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance coverage in addition to the group benefits offered by the employer, a producer license is required. Group property and casualty insurance is not permitted in South Dakota.

No producer license is required of a producer who is not a resident of this state who sells, solicits or negotiates a contract of insurance for commercial property and casualty risks to an insured with risks located in more than one state and insured under that contract if that person is otherwise licensed as an insurance producer in the state wehere the insured maintains its principal place of business.


Non-resident producers must renew their license by the end of their birth month every two years. You can check your license expiration online using the License Inquiry Service. The renewal period will oopne 60 days prior to the end of the renewal deadline.

It is important that your email address in your contact information is current. All notices regarding your producer license, including your renewal reminder, will be sent electronically. Update your email address using the "Update Your Email" link in Sircon.

Renewal Fee

The renewal fees are retaliatory.


Contact the Division of Insurance