- Home to DLR
- Home to Workers' Compensation
- Advisory Council
- Case Decisions
- Case Management
- Compensation & Other Rates
- Employee's Guide to Workers' Compensation (Adobe PDF format)
- First Report of Injury
- Posting Requirements
- Rights & Responsibilities of Employee
- Rights & Responsibilities of Employer
- Returning to Work
- Self-Insured Companies
- South Dakota Laws & Rules
- Survivor Benefits
The South Dakota Worker's Compensation Law covers all employers with only limited exceptions.
- Domestic servants (unless working for an employer more than 20 hours in any calendar week and for more than six weeks in any 13-week period)
- Farm or agricultural labor
- One whose employment is not in the usual course of trade, business, occupation or profession of the employer (independent contractors, including real estate agents and owner-operators of trucks certified as independent contractors by the Department of Labor and Regulation; see "Coverage for Independent Contractors" below for more information)
- Certain elected officials of the state or any subdivision of government
- Workfare participants
Coverage for Independent Contractors
For more information on being certified, for workers' compensation purposes, as an independent contractor (including real estate agents and owners-operators of trucks), please visit our Coverage for Independent Contractors page.
Workers' Compensation Coverage Verification Service
Use the Coverage Verification Service to verify an employer's coverage under Workers' Compensation. There are currently two options for using the Coverage Verification Service, as shown below. Please note: Beginning in May 2018, only the web-based option will be available. The mobile app is being discontinued in May 2018.
Online Coverage Verification Service (web-based)
Coverage Verification Service Mobile App (available for Apple and Android devices - being discontinued in May 2018)
Download the Apple version of the Coverage Verification Service Mobile App from the Apple Store.
Download the Android version of the Coverage Verification Service Mobile App from the Google Play Store.
Please note: Information contained in/provided from the Coverage Verification Service database is a representative reflection of selected information maintained by the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation. There may be discrepancies in information provided due to causes outside the control of the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation, such as reporting/recording delays and inaccuracies. For information on self-insured employers, please call 605.773.3681.
The information provided on this page should in no way be considered legal advice. For specific information about your legal rights, you should consult your personal attorney. If you have a general question, contact us.