- Home to DLR
- Home to Division of Insurance
- Home to Securities Regulation
- Broker-Dealer Licensing
- Broker Check
- Investment Adviser Licensing
- Investment Adviser Search
- Business Opportunity Registration
- Enforcement and Investor Complaints
- Franchise Registration
- Investor Alerts
- Investor Education
- Investor Tools
- Securities Registration
- Contact Us
Division of Insurance - Securities Regulation
Avoiding Common Deficiencies Found in
Investment Adviser Applications
Avoiding common deficiencies when preparing Form ADV Parts 1 and 2 and investment advisory agreements will help speed up the review of your application.
The most common errors found in an application are related to inconsistencies between Part 1, as filed on the IARD system; the new "plain language" narrative Part 2; and the investment advisory agreement/contract.
Form ADV, Parts 1 and 2
To avoid the most common deficiencies, please follow these guidelines:
- Ensure the following:
- The types of clients listed on Item 5.D of Part 1 match Item 7 of Part 2.A.
- The type of compensation listed on Item 5.E of Part 1 matches Item 5 of Part 2.A.
- The fee schedule listed in Item 5 of Part 2.A matches the fee schedule in the investment advisory agreement/contract.
- How often fees are paid as listed in Item 5 of Part 2 matches the investment advisory agreement/contract.
- Services marked in Item 5.G of Part 1 match the services described in Item 4 of Part 2.A.
- Discretionary authority marked in Item 8.C of Part 1 matches the discretionary authority described in Item 16 of Part 2.A. In addition, you must discuss the restrictions or limitations imposed by your clients.
- If you list other business in Item 6 of Part 1, discuss the other business in Item 10 of Part 2.A.
- In part 2, do not state that you are "registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission" or "registered under the Investment Advisors Act of 1940."
- If you are registering or registered with one or more state securities administrators and you receive more than $500 in fees per client six months or more in advance, include both the required balance sheet and financial condition disclosures for Items 18.A and 18.B of Part 2.
- Update references in the investment advisory agreement from the "ADV Part II" to the newly adopted "ADV Part 2."
Investment Advisory Agreements
In addition, the Examiners also review and comment on the applicant's investment advisory agreement(s). To avoid deficiencies, please follow these guidelines:
- The following items should be discussed in the agreement and should be consistent with the information found in Form ADV Parts 1 and 2:
- A description of services to be rendered by the adviser;
- A fee schedule;
- Whether fees are charged in advance or in arrears;
- How often fees are paid;
- Whether fees are negotiable;
- Whether fees are withdrawn from the client's account;
- The firm's termination policy; and
- A refund policy, if applicable.
- The agreement must contain the provisions found in Administrative Rule of South Dakota (ARSD) 20:08:05:29(1).
- The fee schedule in the agreement must match the fee schedule discussed in the Form ADV Part 2. Additionally, the type of compensation described in the contract must match what was described in Item 5 of Part 2.A and the form of compensation marked in Item 5.E of Part 1.
|Topic||ADV I Item||ADV 2A Item||ADV 2B Item|
|Employees as Registered Reps||5B(2)||10A||4A|
|Employees are insurance agents||5B(5)||10C||4B|
|Use of solicitors||5B(6), 8H||14B|
|Types of clients||5D||7|
|Compensation||5E||5A 5E 10D 14||4A, 4B|
|Performance Fees||5E||6, 19C|
|Assets under management||5F||4 (do not have to match, but must be w/in 90 days)|
|Wrap Program||5I||4D, if so, Appendix 1 is required|
|Advise on limited security types||5J||4B|
|Other financial business||6A||5E, 10A,10B, 10C|
|Other business or services||6B||19B|
|Financial industry affiliations||5B, 7A||10A, B, and/or C, 19E|
|Private Fund Adviser - Please submit:
LPA, PPM and Sub Docs
|7B||4, 5, 10C|
|Your interest in client trades||8A||11B, 11C, 11D|
|Sales interest in client trades||8B, 5B, 7B||11B|
|Discretion||8C||4, 16, 18B|
|Related brokers||8D, 8F||10A, 10C|
|Soft dollars||8F, 8G||12A|
|Receive pay for referrals||8I||10D, 14A||5|
|Disciplinary disclosures||11||9, 19D||3, 7|
|Direct Owners||Schedule A||4, 19A|