Department of Labor and Regulation

Title - Labor Market Information Center

Covered Workers & Annual Pay - 2012 Annual Summary

Construction Industry Group

Businesses within the Construction industry group erect buildings and other structures, and perform alterations, installation, maintenance and repairs.

South Dakota Covered Workers and Pay
Construction Industry Group
Industry Group, Industry and Subsector
Number of Establishments Average Number of Workers Annual Pay
Construction 3,921 20,132 $39,942
  Construction 3,921 20,132 $39,942
    Construction of Buildings 1,256 5,096 $37,058
    Heavy and Civil Engineering Construction 416 3,272 $51,213
    Specialty Trade Contractors 2,249 11,764 $38,056
Totals may not add due to rounding.
Data subject to revision.
Produced by the Labor Market Information Center, South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation, in cooperation with the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

back top top

NAICS Sector 23

The Construction of Buildings (NAICS 236) subsector is defined with establishments that preform new work, additions, alterations, maintenance and repairs. Work performed in the Heavy and Civil Engineering Construction (NAICS 237) subsector includes establishments whose primary activity is the construction of entire engineering projects, and specialty trade contractors, whose primary activity is the production of a specific component for such projects. The Specialty Trade Contractors (NAICS 238) subsector is defined as establishments whose primary activity is preforming specific activities involved in building construction, such as pouring concrete, site preparation, plumbing, painting, etc.

The Construction sector in 2012 showed signs of recovery from the recession, when worker levels showed a loss of 1,413 in 2009 and 713 in 2010. The worker levels within Construction remained relatively stable during 2011 and 2012. The 2012 level was 20,132 workers with an average annual pay of $39,942. The average annual pay increased by $943 (2.4 percent) over the past year.

Annual pay increased in all three subsectors:

  • Construction of Buildings increased by $850.
  • Heavy and Civil Engineering increased by $2,451.
  • Specialty Trade increased by $703.

Another sign of recovery is the addition of 36 establishments during 2012. Heavy and Civil Engineering and Specialty Trade Contractors gained 11 and 29 establishments, respectively, while the Construction of Buildings lost four establishments.

Two of the three subsectors showed decreased worker levels in 2012. The Heavy and Civil Engineering (NAICS 237) subsector suffered a loss of 146 workers (4.3 percent) from 2011 to 2012 for a total of 3,272 workers. Construction of Buildings (NAICS 236) lost 31 workers (0.6 percent) during the year, bringing this subsector to a total of 5,096 workers. The Specialty Trade Construction (NAICS 238) subsector was the only subsector to gain workers, gaining 180 workers (1.6 percent) in 2012 for a total of 11,764. This subsector comprises about 58 percent of the overall employment in the Construction sector, while the other two subsectors make up about 42 percent of the employment.

The Construction industry ranked 12th in annual pay among the 22 industries in South Dakota for 2012. From 2011 to 2012 this industry ranked sixth in growth in the number of establishments. The overall picture of the entire construction industry in South Dakota is one portraying conservative but steady recovery from the recession.

Line graph comparing South Dakota covered worker levels in Construction in 2011 and 2012

back to top

Back to Covered Workers menu

Marcia Hultman, Secretary
123 W. Missouri Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501-4505
Tel. 605.773.3101
Fax. 605.773.6184