Department of Labor and Regulation

<Title - Division of Insurance email the Division of Insurance

Resident Continuing Education — Renewal

Continuing Education Requirements
Completion Requirements
Newly Licensed Producers
Request to Drop a Line/Qualification
Contact Information

Resident producers will complete Continuing Education (CE)/renew their license by the end of their birth month every two years. The renewal period will open 60 days prior to the end of the birth month. If a resident producer adds a qualification to their existing license, the CE requirements for the new qualification will be waived until after their next renewal.

The table below shows the next renewal deadline for any current resident producer who renewed on April 30, 2010. There will be a minimum of 24 months to complete your CE requirements prior to your birth month renewal.

Birth Month
Renewal Deadline
April April 30, 2012
May May 31, 2012
June June 30, 2012
July July 31, 2012
August August 31, 2012
September September 30, 2012
October October 31, 2012
November November 30,2012
December December 31, 2012
January January 31, 2013
February February 28, 2013
March March 31, 2013

Find your expiration date using the consumer inquiry service available through Sircon. The information can also be printed for your records.

back to top

Continuing Education Requirements

Administrative Rule of South Dakota (ARSD) 20:06:18:03 specifies the required hours of continuing education credits (CEC) for each qualification a producer holds. The number of hours needed for each qualification carried on your license are shown below.

Life/Health alone — 10 hours
Property/Casualty alone — 10 hours
Crop ALONE — 4 hours
Crop and Life/Health — 2 hours Crop and 8 hours Life/Health
Crop and Property/Casualty — 2 hours Crop and 8 hours Property/Casualty
Crop, Property/Casualty and Life/Health — 2 hours crop, 8 hours
  Property/Casualty and 10 hours Life/Health

The CE period will be waived for any new qualification added during the two- year CE period of an existing producer's license until the first renewal.

back to top

Completion Requirement

Continuing education requirements must be completed during a 24 month period ending on the producer's birth month beginning in April 2012.

The South Dakota Division of Insurance uses Sircon (a web-based program) to manage and monitor continuing education compliance. Upon successful completion of an approved course, credit will be applied to your record by the provider. Producers are not required to report their continuing education credits (CECs) to the Division of Insurance.

Using Sircon, you can:

  • Look up approved education courses and their credits (classroom and additional offering dates, correspondence, internet, and on-line courses).
  • Review the status of your continuing education compliance.
  • Renew your license and pay renewal fee.
  • Check the status of your license renewal.
  • Update your email address.

back to top


A $20 licensing fee is payable online at Sircon.

All fees are non-refundable.

If the licensing renewal and payment of the $20 fee is not completed through Sircon by the due date, the license will lapse and your appointments will be terminated.

back to top

Newly Licensed Producers

Effective April 30, 2010 newly licensed resident producers initially have a 24 - 35 month license in order to allow adequate time for producers to complete full continuing education requirements before their first renewal.

Examples are as follows:

Licensed in July 2010 - Birth month in February - will renew by February 2013
   (31 months)
Licensed in July 2010 - Birth month in July - will renew by July 2012 (24 month)
Licensed in Aug. 2010 - Birth month in July - renew by July 2013 (35 months)

back to top


Producers who are moving to South Dakota from a state that requires continuing education may provide evidence of prior course completion to satisfy these requirements, providing the courses were completed during the same time frame.

back to top

Request to Drop a Line/Qualification

Requests to restrict (drop a line or lines from your license) must be received in our office no later than one (1) month prior to the end of the two-year period in order to eliminate the CEC requirement for the dropped line(s).

  1. Submit a written request to the Division of Insurance with the following information:
    • Name and address;
    • Producer's license number or Social Security number;
    • Lines to be deleted; and
    • Producer's signature;
  2. Enclose the original license issued to you. If the original license has been lost or destroyed, please state in the letter it is lost or destroyed and explain the circumstances.

back to top


Extensions of time to obtain CECs may be granted upon showing "good cause" for such an extension to be granted. "Good cause" is defined as death, disability, natural disaster or other extenuating circumstances which makes it impossible to attend a continuing education course or do independent study.

Such requests must be in writing and must be received by the Director not less than 21 days before the expiration of the two-year period or the expiration of the previous extension period. The request shall contain the name, address and telephone number of the producer requesting the extension. If the reason for the request is medical, a doctor's statement is required. No extension shall be granted for greater than one year. The extension shall have no effect on the deadline for obtaining CECs in the next two-year period.

back to top


The following producers are exempt from all continuing education requirements:

  • A licensee holding a limited license to sell only credit life and credit health insurance;
  • A licensee outside the United States or its territories;
  • A licensee who is a resident attorney licensed to practice law in the state;
  • A licensee who is a transportation ticket producer of common carriers holding a limited license to sell only travel accident and baggage insurance;
  • A licensee who is an employee of a trade association holding a limited license to sell only surety bonds to its association members;
  • A licensee who is licensed to sell only bail bonds.

The producer must notify the Division office in writing if he/she falls under one of the exempt categories.

back to top


A producer who loses his/her license due to non-renewal (failure to pay the renewal fee) or for not completing their CEC requirement can become reinstated within one year of cancellation by completing all licensing procedures. The producer shall be required to obtain the CECs required for the time he was licensed in the two-year period he was cancelled. These CECs must be completed before the producer may be reinstated. A producer will need to pay $40 in order to reinstate the license.

Contact the Continuing Education Coordinator for the number of credit hours required for reinstatement.

After reinstatement the producer shall then complete his continuing education requirement for the current reporting period.

back to top

Contact Information

If you have additional questions please contact:

Jo Mikkelsen
Continuing Education Coordinator
South Dakota Division of Insurance
124 S. Euclid Ave., 2nd Floor
Pierre, SD 57501-3185

back to top






Division of Insurance
124 S. Euclid Ave., 2nd Floor
Pierre, SD 57501
Tel. 605.773.3563
Fax. 605.773.5369