Department of Labor and Regulation

Title - Division of Insurance e-mail the Division of Insurance

COBRA FAQ —What is the federal government's role in COBRA?

COBRA continuation coverage laws are administered by several agencies. The U.S. Departments of Labor and Treasury have jurisdiction over private-sector health group health plans. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services administers the continuation coverage law as it affects public-sector health plans.

The U.S. Department of Labor's interpretive and regulatory responsibility is limited to the disclosure and notification requirements of COBRA. If you need further information on your disclosure or notification rights under a private-sector plan, or about Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) generally, contact the U.S. Department of Labor's Employee Benefits Security Administration:

U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
Division of Technical Assistance and Inquiries
200 Constitution Avenue NW, Suite N-5619
Washington, DC 20210
Phone: 866.444.3272 (toll free)

The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services offers information about COBRA provisions for public-sector employees. You can contact them at:

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
7500 Security Boulevard
Mail Stop C1-22-06
Baltimore, MD 21244-1850
Phone: 877.267.2323, extension 61565

Back to COBRA frequently asked questions

Division of Insurance
124 S. Euclid Ave., 2nd Floor
Pierre, SD 57501
Tel. 605.773.3563
Fax. 605.773.5369