Department of Labor and Regulation

Title - Division of Insurance email the Division of Insurance

Automobile Insurance — Canceling

If the insurance company is canceling in the middle of your policy term, by law they can only do so for nonpayment of premiums or loss of your drivers license.

If the coverage is to end at renewal, no particular reason is required as long as they give you sixty (60) days notice.

Your insurance can be cancelled because of too many traffic violations. You should contact a local insurance agent, as he may well have an insurance company willing to offer you insurance. In the event no insurance company wants to accept you, coverage can always be purchased through the South Dakota Automobile Plan. Any licensed insurance agent can submit an application on your behalf to the Plan.



Division of Insurance
124 S. Euclid Ave., 2nd Floor
Pierre, SD 57501
Tel. 605.773.3563
Fax. 605.773.5369