Department of Labor and Revenue

Title - South Dakota Real Estate Commission

Home Inspection Study Guide

The home inspection exam consists of 190 multiple-choice questions. Approximately 90 percent of the exam is based on the components of a home inspection covered in a principles of home inspection course. The remaining 10 percent is based on South Dakota Codified Law (SDCL) and Administrative Rules of South Dakota (ARSD) pertaining to real estate transactions. SDCL 36-21C and ARSD 20:74 are available from this website, or you can request a home inspector license law manual by email.

You do not need to study chapter 20:74:03 of the ARSD, because the content of this chapter pertains to sponsors and instructors of home inspection prelicensing courses. The major content of ARSD chapter 20:74:04 pertains to providers and instructors of home inspection continuing education courses so is not required study either; however, you will need to study ARSD 20:74:04:07 and ARSD 20:74:04:08 of this chapter. These two administrative rules pertain to license renewal, and it is very important you are aware of renewal procedures.

When reading the statutes and administrative rules (excluding ARSD chapter 20:74:03), you may want to highlight the following areas:

  • Definitions
  • Who needs a home inspector license
  • Rrequirements to become licensed
  • Rrequirements to maintain the license (i.e. renewal procedures, ARSD 20:74:04:07 and ARSD 20:74:04:08)
  • Grounds for disciplinary action
  • The standards of practice

Once you have completed your highlighting, you need only study these particular areas for the exam.

Be sure to review your course materials from your principles of home inspection course for the remaining 90 percent of the exam.

When you feel you are prepared to take the exam, visit the Applied Measurement Professional website,, see the "candidates" section and print the Candidate Handbook for the South Dakota home inspector exam. The handbook will give you instructions for registering for the home inspector exam. The exam is computerized and can be taken at sites in Rapid City and Sioux Falls.

If you have any questions regarding home inspector licensing or would like to request a home inspector license law manual, please contact Karen Callahan by phone at 605.773.3600 or by email.

SD Real Estate Commission
221 W. Capitol Ave., Suite 101
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: 605.773.3600
Fax: 605.773.4356