Please note: All South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation offices will be closed Monday, October 12 in observance of Native American Day.
The mission of the South Dakota Cosmetology Commission is to ensure the health and safety of our citizens as they use cosmetology, esthetics and nail technology services.
The Commission does this by:
- examining and licensing qualified practitioners
- conducting inspections of cosmetology, esthetics and nail salons, booths and schools
- enforcing statutes, rules and regulations governing the practice of cosmetology, esthetics and nail technology, including consumer complaints
- resolving complaints
- overseeing the educational process of cosmetology schools and licensees
We regulate the following activities when done for any fee or compensation:
- hair care (styling, wrapping, arranging, braiding, twisting, weaving, extending, fusing, dressing, curling, waving, permanent waving, singeing, cleansing, shampooing, cutting, bleaching, setting, coloring, straightening, relaxing, fitting, massaging, or similar work upon the hair, scalp, wigs or hairpieces of a person)
- skin care or esthetics (beautifying, massaging, cleansing, exfoliating, stimulating, applying oils, creams, cosmetic preparations, make-up, facial treatments, body treatments, body wraps, antiseptics, scrubs, clays, lotions, masks, waxes or other preparations for the noninvasive care of the skin)
- nail care (cutting, filing, trimming, shaping, polishing, coloring, removing polish, tinting, air-brushing, decorating, cleansing or otherwise beautifying a person's fingernails or toenails; applying and removing artificial nails; or massaging, cleansing and exfoliating a person's hands, arms, feet and legs)
- removal of superfluous hair by nonpermanent means
- education, equipment and safety and sanitation in salons, booths and schools
In no case may the above procedures be invasive or medical treatment.
More details may be found in the Scope of Practice (in Adobe .pdf format*).
The Cosmetology Commission does not regulate:
- electrology, permanent hair removal
- body piercing and ear piercing
- permanent makeup and tattooing
- massage therapy (regulated by the South Dakota Massage Therapy Board, 605.224.1721)
back to top
If you cannot find answers to your questions among the topics listed to the left, please contact us.
Executive Director: Kathryn "Kate" Boyd
Secretary: Elisabeth "Beth" Marnell
Mailing Address: 500 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501
Location: 111 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605) 773-6193
FAX: (605) 773-7175
*Opening and printing Adobe .pdf files requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here as needed to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.