Department of Labor and Revenue

Title - South Dakota Abstracters' Board of Examiners

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Board require continuing education hours to maintain licensure?

No. The South Dakota Abstracters' Board of Examiners does not have a continuing education requirement.

I'm a licensed abstracter in another state. Does South Dakota offer reciprocity licensing?

No. South Dakota does not offer reciprocity licensing. Please see licensing for more information on licensure requirements and the licensing process in South Dakota.

How often are examinations given? How can I register?

The examination is given three times a year — February, June and October. You can register for the examination by downloading an application form and, if needed, a form to order a study guide. Both forms are available from our Forms Web page. Please visit our Licensing Web page for more information on the exam, or contact us using the information at the bottom of this page.

How often must I renew my license?

Individual licensees do not need to renew their licenses. Individual abstracters who do not engage in the business of abstracting for one year must re-apply for licensure when they come back to the profession. An abstracter's plant registration, on the other hand, must be renewed biennially.

Contact Us

Viki Wilds, Secretary-Treasurer
South Dakota Abstracters' Board of Examiners
PO Box 239
Canton, SD 57103
Phone: 605.558.1030

*Opening and printing Adobe .pdf files requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here as needed to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Marcia Hultman, Secretary
123 W. Missouri Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501-4505
Tel. 605.773.3101
Fax. 605.773.6184