- Home to DLR
- Home to Unemployment Insurance
- Advisory Council
- Services for Individuals
- Services for Businesses
- Report New Hires
- Report Possible Fraud
- Equal Opportunity to Services
- South Dakota Laws & Rules
Unemployment Insurance Benefits
File a Weekly Certification
You must file a weekly certification each week to receive benefits. You have two options for filing the weekly certification, online or by telephone with the automated phone system. You must answer questions to determine your eligibility for benefits for each week you file. Before filing, review the important information below.
When to File
The Unemployment claim week begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday at midnight. Your weekly certification will be filed for the previous week. You cannot file for the week until it is over. We encourage you to file your claim on Sunday or as soon as possible after the Saturday week-ending date.
Your failure to file a weekly certification in a timely manner could result in a denial of benefits. You have seven days from the end of the week to file for the previous week. All weekly certifications are recorded at Central Standard Time (CST). If you do not file your weekly certification within that one week filing time, you will need to call Customer Service at 605.626.2452.
You should file a weekly certification every week, even if you are doing any of the following:
- Waiting to find out if you qualify for benefits.
- Working and have hours and wages to report.
- Appealing a denial of benefits.
Your “Waiting Week”
The first eligible weekly certification you file will be counted as your “waiting week”. You will not be paid benefits for your waiting week. Everyone serves one waiting week per benefit year.
Processing of Benefit Payments
If you meet all the eligibility requirements and file your certification each week, you should receive your first payment within three weeks after you apply for benefits. Payments are processed within two business days. If there is an issue with your weekly certification that prevents your payment from being issued, you will be notified. Your benefits cannot be paid until the issue has been resolved. If you have questions, contact Customer Service at 605.626.2452.
Confirmation of Your Weekly Certification
When filing your weekly certification, you must receive confirmation that your certification has been accepted. Your certification has not been filed if you do not receive confirmation. If this happens, you may re-file your certification as long as it is filed within seven days of the end of the week you are claiming.
- File online 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- File by phone at 605.626.3212, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
LOG IN HERE
Log in to file a weekly certification online.
- You can either speak or key in your responses
- It is recommended that you call from a quiet location
- You will need to establish a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You may use any combination except 0000. This PIN is your electronic signature. Do not give your PIN to anyone. You are responsible for all payments made using your PIN.
View a video on how to properly file a claim for unemployment benefits, including filing the weekly certification.
Back to main Unemployment Insurance Benefits page